Karel Stes (Lic. Law, University of Ghent) has a vast experience in respect of
- shipbuilding contracts;
- sale and purchase of ships, offshore installations and yachts;
- ship finance;
- charter parties and other forms of contracts for the employment of ships, offshore installations and yachts;
- management- , shipbuilding supervision- and agency agreements;
- merger and acquisition agreements, joint ventures.
Karel Stes serves or served on the highest positions in the Belgian and international maritime law community:
- member of the Royal Commission to the reform of the Belgian Maritime law;
- president of the Belgian Maritime Law Association (a member of the Comité Maritime International, CMI);
- titulary member of the CMI;
- chairman of the Documentary Committee of BIMCO (Baltic and International Maritime Council).
Prior to joining us, Karel was Chief Legal Officer, Company Secretary and Compliance Officer with Exmar (owner, operator and designer of gas tankers and offshore installations). Currently Karel is lecturer at the Antwerp Maritime Academy (charter parties and insurance contracts for crewed yachts).
Karel Stes is a consultant, he is not a member of the bar.
Ph: + 32 3 231 54 36